Sunday, July 5, 2009

Oshkosh Restaurants - The Tilted Kilt

Tilted Kilt
1051 S Washburn St
Oshkosh, WI 54904-8052
(920) 651-8844

Last Friday was my boyfriend’s birthday, and for his birthday lunch we went to the Tilted Kilt. Now, as far as Oshkosh restaurants go, the Tilted Kilt was not reeeal high on my list of places to try. Birthdays trump my list though, so away we went.

The waitresses wear plaid skirts, knee high socks, and white shirts tied above their stomachs, revealing lots of leg and stomach. Not offensive but definitely more skin than Hooters.

We ordered the Five Quid Squid as an appetizer. We had just had Calamari at Becket’s, and it was nowhere near as good at the Tilted Kilt. It had pretty good flavor, but was definitely too chewy for my liking. We had a friend with us who had never tried calamari, and he hated it. His description was deep fried rubber bands. Pretty accurate.

For my meal I ordered the Scottish Cheesesteak with regular fries (I could have had Garlic Fries, but I’m a sucker for Malt Vinegar on my French Fries). The sandwich was very good. The steak was tender, the peppers and onions were well cooked, the bread was toasted, and the Provolone cheese was melted. The fries were good too, great with the malt vinegar.

The boyfriend had the Irish Dip. It was the same as my sandwich, but without the peppers, and with Swiss cheese instead of Provolone. The Aus Jus was salty, saltier than I like, but it got the job done. He also ordered the regular fries, though he is not a malt vinegar fan.

Our friend ((the calamari hater)) ordered Maggie Mae’s Fish and Chips. The fish was overly fried, with a whole lot of batter. The first few bites yielded very little fish, and just a lot of fry. Not something I’d try again. That disappointed me, I love a good fish fry.

The bar was empty, and there weren’t very many people in the place. The largest group was a family, 3 kids and both parents. Kind of suprised me. Definitely wasn’t expecting “The Best Looking Sports Pub” be a family go-to place. To each their own though. The BF had been there once before and said it was packed with businessmen for lunch the first time he’d went. So we credited the Friday before the 4th of July as the reason it was so empty.

Overall, the Tilted Kilt seemed to have pretty good bar food, though it was a bit expensive. The bill for all three of us to eat was over $40 and we only had waters to drink. I can’t see myself becoming a regular, but I won’t refuse to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
website statistics