Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Oshkosh Restaurants - Dublin's Irish Pub

Dublin's Irish Pub
2070 W. 9th Avenue
Oshkosh, WI
(920) 385-0277

We've been to Dublin's Pub twice since it opened here in Oshkosh. Both times have been a treat. The atmosphere is wonderful, it feels small and warm and Irish. Though there are TVs for sports games, each time we have been there, there has been traditional Irish music played in the background. In the back room, there is a large fireplace, there is also a game room with darts, and a pool table. There is limited seating, but they have done a great job making the most of the space.

As far as the food goes, I was so impressed. I spent 2 months in Scotland and another 2 weeks in Ireland in college, and have always been hopeful about any new Irish restaurants that I can try. Unfortunately, I'm often disappointed. Not the case at Dublin's in Oshkosh!

Everything on the menu is under $7. The portions are the right size, not too big as often served, but plenty for a meal (I've taken a doggy bag home after both visits). With some of the traditional Irish fair offered, like Bangers and Mash and Shepards Pie, there is also a salad selection, a build your own burger option, and a variety of paninis and wraps. Dublin's offers a nice change in the Oshkosh restaurant scene.

As far as appetizers go, I've had the Irish Cheese Curds and the Banger Boats.  The Irish Cheese Curds surprised me, as they were spicy! At $4.25, they were very good, the breading had a nice kick and flavor. The cheese was melted and fresh. Overall, these were a great choice. Even better than the Irish Cheese Curds though, were the Banger Boats! These were like an Irish/Reuben version of Potato Skins for just $3.95. The order includes 3 potato halves, with cheese, sauerkraut, and Irish sausages on top. There is a sauce that reminded me of a Thousand Island dressing and mayo hybrid, with a kick. These were my favorite thing we ordered, and they are what I craved to bring us back the second time. They are different and delicious, and just writing about them now makes me crave them all over again!

Both times I've gone, I've ordered (and loved) the Fish and Chips. For $6.95, you get 3 pieces of breaded fish and a whole mess of french fries. The breading on the fish is light, but full of flavor. It has some spice to it. The fish wasn't greasy either time, though once I got to the bottom of the basket, I saw some grease down there. The fries are cut thin and taste great. I of course add plenty of malt vinegar to mine, like salt and vinegar potato chips, but better!

My partner in crime has ordered the Grilled Turkey Panini for $5,95 both visits as well. You get to choose the cheese, and it is served with lettuce and tomato. You also have the choice between the fries or a cup of soup. On the first trip, they forgot the lettuce and tomato, and on the second trip, he got a cup of Chicken Pot Pie soup instead of the fries. The soup was awesome, creamy and delicious without being too rich.

Overall, Dublin's is one of my favorite Oshkosh restaurants. The Irish atmosphere and the delicious food will keep us coming back again and again. The staff is friendly and helpful. The bar is well-stocked with a large assortment of both Irish and domestic beers. If you're a whiskey fan, you may want to try the 1780, it's a Jameson and Apple Juice cocktail that we both loved.

If you haven't checked out Dublin's Irish Pub in Oshkosh yet, you should! It's well priced and delicious. If you have to wait for a table, you should! And try the Banger Boats, I'm pretty sure you'll be glad you did!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
website statistics